Sunday, February 17, 2008

Keeping up-to-date...

Hello all...

I know it's been several days since I've been able to keep this blog up-to-date, but that is not because this past week hasn't been devoid of it's ups and downs nor lacking in any stories to share. It's just been a busy week, compounded by the fact that I've been sick as a dog. It doesn't matter how many times you've traveled to the Middle-East here, you are bound to succumb to the "crud" - in this case the "Afghan Crud." *smile* (just count yourself lucky you can't hear my lung-hacking barks as I write this article!)

One interesting thing that happened this past week is I apparently attracted the attention of David Stanford, Duty Officer and webmaster for the Doonesbury Town Hall. Yes THAT Doonesbury, as in the comic strip. He ran across my blog here and asked if I would be ok with him featuring an ariticle I wrote a few posts back entitled "In The Zone..." He called it "...a great day-in-the-life-and-work portrait ...a fascinating piece, and [it] really gets into an area we haven't had anyone post about before on our site...." Once I checked out his site ( http://gocomics.typepad.com/the_sandbox/ ) and found it to be legit, I said it was ok. I also learned that for getting featured on his site, I will now also receive a complimentary copy of "The Sandbox" book that came out last October - a collection of about 90 pieces from the first six months of the site. *shaking head smiling* This blog thing has really opened up a new world for me. :-)

We just had one more from our unit back home just arrive here two days ago. Seth is a "power pro" guy who will help Chris Lambert and I figure out our generator and power "issues" that plague us here. It was suggested by the outgoing unit that we bring a power pro troop but our commander initially resisted, thinking that we didn't really need him. After just the first couple weeks, it was obvious we needed his expertise, so like the rest of us, he dropped everything in his world as he knew it.... a teacher and high-school football coach.... and packed his bags for a fun-filled vacation to a cold, dirty, and lonely abode in the middle of a war zone. What fun! *smile* Wes and I helped get him situated and awaited his arrival late at night. Of course, I also had to greet him with the customary "Welcome to paradise!" He nervously smiled.

Several of you have asked about the guy who exposed his "I [heart] Condi" t-shirt to Condoleeza Rice during her visit here a few days ago and I now have a picture of said shirt. I was also given a few other pictures taken by other guys in our unit - to include another shot of Wes and I standing by Condy that I was oblivious to. Enjoy!






Today was a sad day in Kandahar - one of the worst bombings we've had in the country here in as far as the number of casualties go. It's those types of intel reports that we get that remind us to stay vigilant in what we do here, and that we are still in the middle of the fight. If ever we begin to complain about "routine" days and being locked down here on the ISAF compound, something like this always pops up and promptly reminds us to just keep our mouths SHUT!


View My Milblogging.com Profile

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ken,

I just found your blog late this afternoon and wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading it. I'm still not finished reading the whole thing but plan to finish it soon and have added it to my list of favorite blogs. :o) I wanted to thank you for your service to our country and let you know that you will always be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care and stay safe. Please feel free to email me if you have time.

~Brenda

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Sounds like it's never dull around there! Keep your head down but your eyes up. Praying for a safe and speedy homecoming!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I think we have finally figured out how to get back to your website. First day or two was fine then you got blocked but I believe we are back with the world now. Nice picture there with Condi by the way!
R Hous East Park Elem.

Bag Blog said...

Great pics and good story.

CJ said...

I'm sorry you've been sick. =( Wish I could rush over some homemade chicken soup. =) Take care of you! Congrats on the Doonesbury thing! Very cool. Angel hugs.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to check, haven't heard from you in a while, hope you are doing well.

God Bless